A few weeks ago I shared from scratch funfetti cupcakes, I teased you about the whipped buttercream frosting, but I’m ready to share that recipe with you. This recipe is exactly what it sounds like, a cross between whipped frosting, and good ol’ buttercream frosting.
This is the perfect frosting to enjoy in Summer months as it’s really light, but still has that delicious buttercream flavor. It’s simple too, who doesn’t love a 4 ingredient recipe? I would definitely recommend a stand mixer for this recipe, if you want the same KitchenAid mixer that I have, here’s an affiliate link. I would be so lost without my KitchenAid!
To put this whipped buttercream frosting recipe to the test I invited some of the pickiest frosting eaters, to taste test. Buttercream lovers and Whipped frosting lovers both agreed that this frosting was the best, even thopse that normally scrape off their frosting were making sure their plates were completely empty, not leaving a single drop of frosting. Aliceana was pretty impressed with the frosting too, although most of it ended up on her face, clothes and hair.
I love how it looks too, a dash of sprinkles on top and these cupcakes reminded me more of ice cream sundaes than cupcakes. It almost has a whimsical cloud texture. It’s so easy to frost too, just use a silicone spatula and you’re good to go. I think the sloppier you are with frosting these the prettier they look. I’m pretty terrible at frosting and decorating so I love easy decorating projects like this!
Don’t those cupcakes look fun!? Here’s the recipe so you can make them yourself!
|Whipped Buttercream Frosting|| |
- 1¼ cups + ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- In a cold mixing bowl beat 1¼ cups heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form. This might take several minutes. Scrape whipped cream into a bowl and refrigerate, no need to cover.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat together butter, vanilla, and remaining heavy cream until well combined. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until the mixture is about the consistency of frosting.
- Fold refrigerated whipped cream into the buttercream mixture until well combined.
- Frost cake or cupcakes and store refrigerated.